Learn 30 Easy Australian Slang To Help You Sound Like An Aussie
Unsplash: Valeriia Miller
One way or another, we’ve all heard and used the term selfie. In fact, the Oxford Dictionary even selected the word as its Word of the Year in 2013. But for those of you who don’t know, a selfie is a picture that you take of yourself.
There are no specific rules when it comes to taking a selfie. All you need is yourself, a good background, proper lighting, and your camera. Before you snap that photo, make sure you have the right angle, because angles matter. Say fromage!
In case you didn’t know, the word selfie was coined in Australia. It originally appeared in written form on an Australian news website in 2002, but it wasn't until 2012 that the term became more widely used.
Selfie is just one of the cute and interesting Aussie (another term for Australian) slangs out there. I mean, ever heard of Maccas? That is an Aussie term for McDonald’s – who knew McDonald’s could sound snappy.
Oi, if you want to sound like an Aussie, start learning some Australian slang! Here are thirty words to get you started.
- 1. Barbie – Barbecue
- 2. Billie – Teapot
- 3. Mozzie – Mosquito
- 4. Good on ya – Good work
- 5. Frothy – Beer
- 6. Woop woop – Middle of nowhere
- 7. Lollies – Sweets
- 8. Roo – Kangaroo
- 9. Lappy – Laptop
- 10. Crikey! – An expression of surprise
- 11. Yous – Plural of “you”
- 12. Avo – Avocado
- 13. Coldie – Beer
- 14. Dog’s breakfast – Complete chaos
- 15. Mad as a cut snake – Very angry
- 16. To have a face like a burnt thong – Ugly
- 17. Chuck a sickie – To call out sick
- 18. Wanker – Stuck up person
- 19. Ratbag – Trouble maker
- 20. Chrissie – Christmas
- 21. Daks – Trousers
- 22. No Drama –It’s okay or No problem
- 23. Legless – To describe someone who is very drunk
- 24. Piece of piss – easy
- 25. Thongs – Flip flops
- 26. Sunnies – Sunglasses
- 27. Footy – Football
- 28. Exy – Expensive
- 29. Pash – A passionate kiss
- 30. Chokkie – Chocolate