Kladdkaka: The Gooey Swedish Chocolate Cake
Unsplash: Taras Chuiko
If you’re looking for an easy-to-make dessert, then Kladdkaka should be on top of your list. This simple and delightful dessert only requires 7 ingredients, or maybe 9 if you want to add berries and powdered sugar. And it even pairs perfectly with coffee or tea. So, if you’re ever in need of a brain break snack, have a slice of kladdkaka!
What is it
Although its history is a little hazy, Kladdkaka is a veryyy well-known fika treat in Sweden. It’s name comes from the Swedish word “kladdig” which means “sticky.” And its name is kind of perfect because this delightful chocolate dessert is delicately crispy on the outside and gloriously gooey on the inside. You may think of this rich chocolate goodness as something like a veryyy, veryyy molten lava cake, if it isn’t overcooked. One more thing: since 2008, Sweden has recognized the 7th of November as Kladdkaka's unofficial holiday. So on every November 7, feel free to show your appreciation for this beloved Swedish cake by baking one or five or as many Kladdkakas as you'd like.
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- A pinch of salt
- *Berries (optional)
- *4 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Line the bottom of a 24 cm or 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Then, lightly grease or butter it.
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, remove from the heat to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract until it has creamy consistency.
- Gently fold the sifted, dry mixture into the medium bowl and slowly add the melted butter until fully combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for about 17-20 minutes, or until the center looks slightly set. If the cake is still not cooked after 20 minutes, keep monitoring it every few minutes until it is finished.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool. Once cooled, you can also dust the cake with powdered sugar and top it with berries. Slice and serve.